The Art Institute put on its student show during NYFW/MBFW, which was packed full of emerging designers, 10 to be exact. Here are what I considered to be the top designers and their respective top looks, although I do appreciate all of the hard work I’m sure each designer put forth into their work. It will be great to see where they go from here!
Michael Doyle-Current Student
Doyle is drawn to fashion from the theatrics of many greats, such as Alexander McQueen. I personally, see a bit of a more recent star he could aspire to in that of Christian Siriano! His intern work includes J. Mendel and others. His Spring 2014 collection focused on voluminous proportions that drape to explore the range of hard to soft. He believes fashion is theater.
Daniel Jennings-Current Student
Daniel’s internship work includes Rafaella and Jason Wu. This SS2014 collection, “Facades”, was inspired by structural design of skyscrapers, or “The Drapery of Skyscrapers.” He translated the Curtain Wall concept by combining draping and tailoring principles and working with volume without the weight of layers.
I enjoyed this collection and its mix of wearable pieces with touches of avant garde.
Haley Hysong-Current Student
Haley has been sewing since the age of 12. She has now made the trek to the big city, fashion capital of the world, NYC, to pursue her dreams. This was a great presentation that would really work well for the Spring 2014 market. It had bold prints and bold colors to combine with and it all really worked. I will have to keep my eye out on this emerging designer!
Isaiah Isaac-2013 Graduate
Isaac created pieces for both men and women. He considers himself to be a minimalist but fascinated by complexities. He describes his aesthetic as streamlined, clean silhouettes combine with strong, fluid attitudes into a symbolic representation of the wearer. He currently works on the men’s design team for Macy’s Alfani collection.
I thought Isaac had a good handle on his work with leather. He also did a lot with color-blocking, which is a great trend for the market right now. The 2 looks below were very clean and chic looks. I would very much wear the A-line dress and I would be proud to have my guy don this look of the male model as well. In fact, I wouldn’t mind the guy being this particular male model!!! (side note, great job with the model casting, clearly!)
Darhel Anthony-Current Student
Darhel’s inspiration is drawn from nature and contrasted sharply with contemporary architecture. This presentation is a tailored men’s and women’s collection that utilizes artisanal skills.
- Makeup-Makeup Designory
- Shoes-Espadrilles & Shoes
- Art Institute Student Show Spring 2014 (MBNYFW) (tallglassofstyle.com)
- The Art Institute Of Chicago Showcases the Art of the World (local.answers.com)
- Art Institute’s Gloria Groom makes an ‘Impression’ with her keen eye for style (suntimes.com)
- Prius Route to Rock, Vol. 70: Local Natives, Art Institute, Marc Maron (wxrt.cbslocal.com)
- Art Institute’s StyleWOW (catwalkchic.wordpress.com)
- Arts & Fashion Institute celebrates green fashions, cosplay costumes (wfmz.com)
- New York Fashion Week spring – summer 2014, day 1: keeping it soft (lucire.com)
- Only Days Left to See Impressionism, Fashion & Modernity at the Art Institute of Chicago (terribuseman.wordpress.com)